Wednesday, November 15, 2017

We had to dig a hole....a big ol' hole

We started by ripping up the old sub flooring


My oldest step son working on those floors - hubby in the background in the bathroom


So this is what the house was built on - the ground. No crawl space, no slab foundation.  Just dirt.  The corners of the house/store were "balanced" on huge rocks, which had settled into the ground since 1906.  lol  So what does that mean?  We had to dig out a crawl space...with a shovel.  ...no heavy machinery.  Just good old fashion manual labor!  haha


This is where we started - in the kitchen.  Notice how small this kitchen is..this room goes through a huge change in the next few months.  So take note of the size here..  But while we were doing demo in here - we found out that they had nailed a piece of wood over a window.  A huge window at that!

I'm not sure if you can tell - but we dug a hole so deep that this wall is just hanging.  lol  We were able to crawl under this wall.  My daughter who was one at the time would run back and forth under the wall.  But this wall was what separated the kitchen and bedroom number one.  Such tiny tiny rooms in this house!!!  


Looking back at these pictures makes me realize exactly how far we have come.  We had to dig out a crawl space under the kitchen, bathroom and both bedrooms.  Luckily the living room (the main part of the store) was built on a slab foundation...so NO digging there.  lol  

When we moved in we didn't have working plumbing...heat or air...no shower...no washer and dryer.  All we had was a roof over our head to keep us out of the elements.  

We used the bathroom at the Dollar General up the road - and to this day the ladies who work there ask how the progress is coming on the house.  lol  At night time when the dollar general was closed, yes...we did our business in a bucket.  lol  That may be a little too much info for some - but I want you guys to get the full affect of what its like living through this remodel *grin*

We showered at our gym - luckily when we bought this house we moved closer to our gym.  So every night we would pack up our bag with our pjs and shampoo and take a family trip to the gym.  Let me tell you about the struggle of trying to keep a one year old in the shower stall while trying to wash yourself.  HAHA  Annabelle is a wiggle worm - can not be still.  So I would have to sing, dance, act silly while showering to keep her in the stall.  ...and I would pray no one would come in while we were in there. ...oh such fun memories haha

We did our laundry at the laundry mat.  That is something we have done before...so that wasn't such a big deal.  ...but I felt like I was at the laundry mat every day - because we went through a lot of clothes. We were always dirty haha  We never wore our "nice clothes" ...I remember telling my Mama that I loved visiting her house (12 hours away) because Annabelle could wear her cute/nice clothes...and not her dirt stained sweat pants.  lol

...but yes - the first thing we did to this lovely little blue gas station was dig out a crawl space.  What a chore!!

5 comments:

  1. That is a huge job. Hubby and oldest son helped some folks a half mile down our road do the same. They bought an old home and in the renovation they discovered they had no foundation. Hubby and our oldest son would come home covered with dirt, so I get what you mean about not being able to wear your nice clothes.
    As to your nighttime trips to the bucket--you do what you have to do! I applaud you for making the best of it.
    We built our home without a loan (no mortgage was hubby's goal, too), so though not as primitive as you experienced, we learned to make do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome about building without a loan! ...and it's surprising what you can learn to live without when doing all the work yourself - I know I will never take indoor plumbing for granted again haha

      Delete
  2. Good Morning April,

    I am visiting from your mom's blog, "Little Penpen". I look forward to reading more about your renovation journey. Although it is a lot of work and sweat, I'm you all will treasure the memories the rest of your lives.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! We have made so many memories in the first year of this remodel...and I am sure there are many many more to come. Hubby and I are even able to laugh and enjoy the beginning struggles of this project now *grin*

      Delete
  3. I never did understand 'digging a hole'. I have seen people lift their houses onto higher foundations, but never sink one. ha! yall have truly come a long way!

    ReplyDelete